South Coast CERT is a proud partner of the California For All Emergency Preparedness Campaign, called LISTOS California. LISTOS is a governor sponsored effort to boost disaster preparedness by engaging over 1 million of the most vulnerable Californians and connecting them with culturally and linguistically competent support. For more information on LISTOS, go to www.ListosCalifornia.org.
Critical Steps for Preparedness:
CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) is activated whenever significant events tax the normal emergency response structures in San Mateo County.
- Major storms and land slides of 2018
- PG&E Public Safety Power Shutdowns of 2019
CERT team members:
- Receive 20 hours of training delivered over 4 weeks.
- Learn techniques in: first aid, search and rescue, fire extinguisher use, medical triage, emergency communication, and more.
- Participate in periodic drills/exercises on a volunteer-friendly schedule.
- Learn how to remain safe while helping others.
- Assist Fire and other emergency response personnel in the event of a large-scale disaster.
- Play a major role in the annual Chipper Program, reducing available fire fuel in the community.