This organization dates back to June 1950 when Jack Glass, Cy Williams, Basil Willet and others formed the La Honda Canyon Community Hall Society at a local recreation spot called Troutmere. Their aim was to raise funds for the property and building of a community hall.
In 1954, the society sponsored the first Jr. Rodeo at the Glass Ranch to begin raising funds for a local fire department. This rodeo became a tradition to last many years. Over the years the group pursued fund raising and eventually purchased the property where the firehouse is today.
In 1965, the society changed its name to the La Honda Canyon Fire Brigade, adopting a new set of by-laws for their purpose. A decision to purchase a 1955 International fire truck was made and 19 volunteers signed on for training as firemen.
In July of 1965, the first fire truck entered town during the La Honda Days celebration along with a parade of marching bands, floats, riding clubs, classic cars, 4-H groups, Cub Scouts and numerous individuals with festive entries. By 1968, volunteers completed the new firehouse and it was officially dedicated by the Native Sons of the Golden West. The station has undergone several major remodels over the past 30 years in order to accommodate office space, an official San Mateo County Sheriff’s substation, and most recently improved training facilities.
Today the La Honda Fire Brigade remains as one of the last all-volunteer fire departments in the area. Staffed by a dedicated and professionally trained corps of volunteers, the brigade exists to protect lives, property and the unique environment of the rural portions of San Mateo County. Numerous community members act as an auxiliary to the Brigade donating their time and expertise during fund raisers and towards maintaining the firehouse. This long success can be attributed to the community at large. By supporting fund raisers and continuing annual membership (our primary sources of funding), the community demonstrates a strong spirit and insures all-risk protection for residents and visitors of the area.